background

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Kids Car Caddy

So we are headed on a few trips soon...YEAH!! summer coming soon! Although really with all this rain we are getting...its hard to tell! So both boys have been moved to the back of the bus! But of course this means we'll hear alot of "mom...can you pass me this...and can I have that...I want a book!" So I Googled a few kids car caddies. I did see a really nice one that someone sewed...
but I just don't feel like buying the pattern and trying it out...plus, I still have a few other projects on the go and didn't want to do something time consuming....AND then it hit me.....See what I did with a simple Wipe box...

Wipes Box (sorry for the bad pic!), I cut off the top flaps of the box


Bought a big jar O' Mod Podge....


Quickly fixed the missing spot in the bottom of the box with a piece of the original flaps


And now the fun begins. I took some nice scrapping paper I wasn't using, and modge podged the whole box! Now its not perfectly applied by any means, as the paper itself kinda wrinkled a bit when I "podged" it down...oh well...it was my first time!



So then, I took another piece of cardboard from another box ( although you could use one flaps from the wipes box and made a "divider". I used some of the paper scraps to create flaps on either side of the divider so when I placed it into the box, there would be something to adhere it to. You can see that the divider peeks out and is shorter than the scrap paper use, thus creating "wings"



Hot glued the divider in place ( just right to hold a DVD case) and then mod podged the paper on either side down

And Voila, a nice box, that is pretty sturdy as well. Its already seat belted into the van for our first travel. I packed it with some books, reading and colouring, a cup filled with pencil crayons, and a sharpener, kleenexs, small toys, some DVDs and paper. Just some thing to keep the boys occupied.

I belted it in not because I'm worried if IT gets into an accident, but then at least I know it wont go anywhere if we stop suddenly!!




No comments:

Post a Comment